Boards & Committees – Board Nomination Forms are being accepted for appointment to the Chamber Board.
The Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce is a large and diverse organization with more than 2,000 individual members. Each year a nominating committee is appointed by the Chairman of the Board to select candidates to serve on the Board of Directors for a three-year term.
Chamber members who have an interest in being considered for the Board of Directors are encouraged to do so by submitting a candidate resume form. Please return to the Chamber of Commerce President no later than Friday, October 26, 2012
While the nominating committee will not be limited to selecting only from those who volunteer, it will be its responsibility to consider all candidates objectively and select those, who in its judgment, best meet the requirements established for service on the Board of Directors.
The minimum requirements for appointment as a Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce director are as follows:
The candidate must:
- Be a member in good standing of the chamber;
- Agree to attend monthly board meetings and special meetings called by the Chairman of the Board;
- Be willing to participate in Chamber of Commerce activities;
- Be willing to take positions on controversial issues.
Other desirable qualities candidates should possess include:
- A past record of service/leadership in the community and/or Chamber of Commerce;
- A leader in his or her business or profession;
- Capable and willing to accept a leadership position on the Board of Directors;
- Willingness to serve as Chairman of the Board of Directors if nominated;
- A strong commitment to the free enterprise system.
The Board of Directors consists of 12 elected directors. In addition, the Chairman of the Board has the option to name one director for each of the five counties served by the Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce – Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, and Leelanau counties. The Chairman of the Traverse Bay Economic Development Corporation is a designated member, as well as the Past Chairman of the Board, Chairman of the Business Leadership Council, Young Professional’s Committee, Leadership Grand Traverse program, a non-profit and Traverse City Convention and Visitor’s Bureau representatives.
From Young Professionals to the Board of Directors for the Chamber or the Business Leadership Council you can get involved in the direction of the area’s economy.
Leadership Grand Traverse
Brings together new, emerging and existing leaders to strengthen individual leadership abilities now as well as in the future. This four month program churns out graduates not just ready to serve the community, but to lead it.