Traverse City is home to many great things – cherries, wineries, breweries, and entrepreneurs. However, you may not know it’s also home to an increasing population of talented young professionals (also known as YPs). These young professionals represent a wide range of industries including agriculture, banking, marketing, manufacturing, arts, insurance, healthcare, web development and many others. Not only is this trend impacting YPs, but also our local businesses and economy. As Traverse City and surrounding communities continue to grow, more companies are relying on young professional talent to continue to evolve, and perhaps more importantly, fulfill succession plans for long-term growth.
With the support of the Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce, the Traverse City Young Professionals (TCYP) program continues to support our local community and businesses by providing connectivity and development opportunities to attract and retain young professionals. While these opportunities continue to be a major draw for YPs, they’ve also provided a platform for YPs to have a voice as the next generation of leaders.
Incoming TCYP Chair, Lauren Harris of Priority Health, and a steering committee of talented young professionals have planned what they call “a recipe for greatness” for the 2016 TCYP program. This recipe encompasses fresh opportunities to support the three missions of their organization – to connect, serve, and grow young professionals. Below is a brief summary of the 2016 program line-up.
- YP Morning Brew Event Series* – 60 minutes of engaging conversation with various local leadership each month – over coffee of course.
- YP Mixers – Meet other fellow YPs at social events hosted by trendy local restaurants and venues.
- Annual YP Conference* – An annual favorite of YPs! A full day of professional development and networking in the fall season. Featuring a NEW location and headline presenter for 2016!
- Access to YP Blog – Featuring stories on local events, festivals and YP favorite hot spots. New for 2016: A monthly city, county and governmental update!
- Access to YP Brief e-newsletter – A monthly resource stay current on YP and Chamber events and headlines.
- Volunteer locally: Open opportunities to give back to our fellow YPs and organizations.*
- New! Junior Achievement Partnership – The JA organization provides in classroom lessons of critical life, work and entrepreneurial skills to all grades K-12. With the YP partnership, YPs can volunteer their time to help build the next generation of YPs.
- Lunch and Learn Events* – Enhance your skills in 60 minutes or less over lunch.
- Access to Chamber leadership and networking opportunities – Leadership Grand Traverse, Business After Hours, Small Business Celebration, among others.