Chamber members are now eligible to enroll in the New Directions Employee Assistance Program through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, as an exclusive member benefit designed to help businesses assist their employees through a wide range of counseling, referral, crisis management, health care, financial, professional development and other services and resources.
“The Chamber exists to help its members, and the New Directions EAP will provide an effective and affordable service to area businesses offering critical assistance to their employees to help them navigate personal and professional challenges,” Chamber Interim Executive Director Jill May said. “We’ve been working with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan for the past several months to implement this program and are pleased to offer it to our members to help them create a better and more productive work environment for their staffs.”
The New Directions program is also an affordable employee benefit – costing Chamber member businesses just under $2 per month for each employee – or about $23 per year per worker. It also has a retention rate of more than 98 percent with its customers, of which 95 percent would recommend its EAP to other businesses. The services are available around-the-clock through a toll-free hotline, as well as a digital app that be accessed through personal devices.
New Directions has offered employee assistance for 35 years and works with more than 2,000 organizations. Core offerings through the program include:
- “Work-Life Plus+” with access to trained professionals who can assist employees in dealing with everyday stress with custom referrals, handbooks and related resources for challenges including child or adult care, home repairs, concierge needs and more.
- Assessments and referrals from behavioral health experts to help individuals access appropriate care including counseling, community resources or health coverage.
- Short-term counseling for employees and their families at no cost for up to six sessions per issue.
- Crisis management services for workplace trauma, as well as manager and human resources consultation to help communicate, plan and follow-up after a work-place crisis.
- Management and supervisory tools including coaching, education and training to help supervisors manage employee performance.
- Legal consultation and resources including free 30-minute sessions with an attorney or mediator, plus discounts on follow-up legal work. It also includes an online legal resource center including free access to legal documents.
- Financial consultation and resources, including free half-hour sessions with a financial expert and dozens of online planning sheets, calculators and related tools.
- A health resource library that includes a wide range of online resources to help employees improve their health with articles, tip sheets, webinars, videos and self-assessment tools.
May noted that Employee Assistance Programs are being increasingly utilized by businesses to help their workers deal with everyday stress and personal and professional challenges. New Directions helps its clients improve worker productivity, can reduce ongoing health care costs, increases employee retention, reduces recruiting and employee training costs, and helps supervisors become stronger company leaders.
Enrollment information is available by request at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information is also available on the Chamber website at tcchamber.org under the Members/Cost Saving tab.